Canon G1X Mark2 still worthwhile in 2019?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ozonation Contributing Member • Posts: 889
Canon G1X Mark2 still worthwhile in 2019?

I have the older G1X Mk2 - bought it a number of years ago when all I had was my Nikon FX kit and no easy to carry around small camera for casual shots. I used it quite a bit, but after while found it, ironically, just a little too bulky and heavy for an everyday carry camera. Plus I found it sort of slow to focus depending on the situation.

I ended up getting a G5X through work, and even though it had a smaller sensor found it almost seemed to take better photos. Plus it was just a bit easier to carry around. Now, I've mostly switched to a small m4/3 camera (Panasonic GX9) for just everyday carry.

I'm planning to trade in my G1X Mk2 very soon to get a new lens, etc. and as I was getting the camera ready to take in, I kept thinking that, you know, it's not a bad little camera. It could still be useful... but I'm not sure in what situation. The only situation I could think of is if I'm travelling and I need a backup all-in-one camera that has an almost APS sized sensor. But that seems like a rather infrequent reason to keep it when it's been largely supplanted by newer cameras and yes, even my iPhone for that impromptu "take the photo who cares about the quality moments."

So I guess my question is... anybody had a G1X Mk2 and got rid of it only to regret it later on because it would have been the perfect camera for some specific use?

Canon PowerShot G5 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow