for all FF BS, fuji told the real story, 1/3 market by value, by unit much lower Locked

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
cba_melbourne Senior Member • Posts: 1,010
Re: What will appeal to the Chinese?

Mark Ransom wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

Mark Ransom wrote:

So do you think a camera designed to appeal to the Chinese will also appeal to the rest of us?

What do you believe is a camera and system that will appeal particularly to the Chinese, but maybe not "to the rest of us"? I suspect all the Chinese people do not think and want exactly the same things. Just like all other people all around the world.

It would be naive to assume that every market world-wide is identical. To give just one example, I assume that the average disposable income in China is less than the average for participants of this forum. So perhaps a device targeted to that market would sacrifice functionality for a lower price. But maybe that's a prejudice I have that is not justified, so my question is legitimate - how would a product designed to appeal to Chinese tastes fail to attract a more global market? I've already seen examples of products for the Japanese market that fail to catch on internationally.

Mark, that is exactly the attitude I remember in the 60's and early 70's with regards to the Japanese photographers. Gee, were we wrong. Back then, Japanese cameras were regarded... well probably less than the YI M1 today. Just a few years later, and many German makers just ceased to exist, or were reduced to niche players struggling to avoid bankruptcy. The average disposable purchase power in China is today, where it was in Europe back then. There are many photography enthusiasts in China, potentially more than in Europe and the USA combined. And they are prepared to work long long hours for their dream camera, just as we did back then. Personally I see no difference at all in what enthusiasts desire in a camera. Regardless of where they live or what culture or religion or what alphabet they use. Rest assured, there will be no rice bowl shaped cameras.

cba_melbourne's gear list:cba_melbourne's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
(unknown member)
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow