Center Lock-on AF vs. Lock-on AF?? Sony a7iii

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mshutterbug New Member • Posts: 4
Center Lock-on AF vs. Lock-on AF?? Sony a7iii

Just got the Sony a7iii, my first mirrorless, moved over from Canon DSLR. I've been googling and youtubing and I just can't quite figure it out. For clarity - I'm interested in how this applies to shooting still photos, not video.

Within the Focus Area menu, I can select Lock-on AF: Flexible Spot, Center, etc. OR from any of the other Focus Area options, such as Flexible Spot, for example, I then have the option of turning on Center Lock-on AF. What is the difference between these? I've been playing around with them both a bit and I just don't understand what the difference is or when you'd use one over the other? It seems like they basically do the same thing, but I'm sure that must not be the case or why bother with two different options? I did see one video that indicated the Center Lock-on AF would be used more in filming video, but in other places it seemed you might use it shooting stills. So I don't know!

Thanks!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow