Any opinions on the new Olympus flash gear?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Gregm61 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,741
Re: Any opinions on the new Olympus flash gear?

Peter 1745 wrote:

Gregm61 wrote:

Keith57 wrote:

Gregm61 wrote:

I have the new commander and receiver. Works perfectly with all three of my Olympus units, which are the FL900R, FL600R and even the older DSLR system FL50R unit.

Are they available to the public now?

I ordered mine from Olympus direct and received them several weeks ago. I see B&H has the receiver in stock currently, but not the trigger. You probably should be able to run them both down somewhere.

Greg,

Thanks for the confirmation of them working with the FL900R and FL50R. I thought they would but didn't know for sure. I can understand Olympus not mentioning the FL50R as it hasn't been manufactured for years but the omission of the FL900R was strange.

I suspect they will work with any flash compatible with the old optical flash control system including my Metz 50 and Metz 64.

The big question for me is will they work with non "R" flashes e.g. FL50, FL-36 or the smaller Metz flashes that don't work off camera?

I gave my FL50 pre-R to a friend years ago when I purchased the FL50R so no longer have one to test with these new units.

I read their manuals but no information about this issue there.

Another point I am uncertain on is the number of remote groups the FC-WR supports. If I am reading the manual correctly this is 3 groups but mounting a flash onto the FC-WR uses one of these groups and leaves just 2 groups of remote flashes. Is this correct?

I purchased one commander and one receiver since most of my uses are much simpler, one flash at a time, typically bounced into an off-camera umbrella. Now I can do that via radio control with TTL capability. The FC-WR does not have a hot shoe on it, so there's no mounting a flash onto the body when using this setup.

No doubt Olympus' down-the-road strategy has to be introducing a new highest-level FL900WR that can act as receiver and controller so it can function as you are talking but as of today the FL700WR will be, once available, the only unit that operates that way.

This is a deal breaker for me as I often use an oncamera flash and 3 remote groups.

I see no reason this would not be possible utilizing an FL700WR on the body, then three compatible external units mounted onto receivers. Once all of their flash units are "WR" types, it looks to me like the receiver/controllers will no longer be needed except with the earlier units.

Any info on these matters would be appreciated.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Leica M9 Olympus E-M1 Leica M (Typ 262) Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X +30 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow