X-T20 out-of-focus details, watercolor effect - lots of sample pictures

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
reach0775 Forum Member • Posts: 55
X-T20 out-of-focus details, watercolor effect - lots of sample pictures

Hi there,
after a first pretty unsuccessful thread in this matter (my bad!), I'm giving it one more try with plenty of sample images...:
I switched from the EOS 6D to the X-T20 and from the first day on, whenever I zoomed into pictures, I hated them.
Everything slightly out of focus is rendered in a way that makes me want to rub my eyes. Literally and physically, rub my eyes because it looks so fuzzy. The closest anology I have is a watercolor painting.
(call me a conspiracy theorist, but the Finepix F31fd I owned years ago had exactly the same issue which was why I got rid of it.)

I would very much appreciate your comments, however I would really like to ask you to read this disclaimer, since in my first thread it turned out that most people misunderstood my issue:

• this is not about WHY things are out of focus, just about awful OOF rendering
  • except one, all pictures have been taken with the 18-55 zoom @33m/f8 and EOS 6D had the 24-105 f4 @50mm/f11. Handheld.
    • BUT the same issue occurs with a XF 50/f2 I recently borrowed AND even with the Laowa 9mm - one example included
  • this is not a comparison between cameras or lenses, I just used the Canon to show what I consider "normal" and to prove to myself that I'm not imagining things
  • just using 1 aperture step more at the Canon FF appears not to have exactly the same DOF as the Fuji, but as said in first place, it's not about the reason for things being OOF. I simply never saw such a pattern at any other camera before.
  • for this test I only shot trees and bushes, because here the effect looks worst
  • I shoot RAW and convert in LR, but the issue is exactly the same with JPG. No matter, if I shoot JPG in first place, or do in-camera conversion
  • I do admit I have difficulties to take sharp pictures in general with the Fuji. I have read several tutorial focusing on people coming from SLR, but heck, shooting stationary bushes with all the time in the world at high shutter speeds, smallest focus point, focus-priority(!) - how could this possible go wrong?
  • I have read about issues with OIS at high shutter speeds, but then again, see above comment regarding 2 primes where it happens as well, so OIS may or may not be "some" issue, but not the root cause
  • latest firmware on body (2.01) and lens (3.22)
  • I admit the issue is barely visible in the full picture, however I enjoy having budget for cropping and when doing so, it quickly becomes visible.
  • never mind exposure and WB. I do understand this may matter, but not consistently through all images, under- over- or correctly exposed.

As said, I would very much appreciate your comments. I don't know what I expect and how comments could change my mind liking what I see. In my first post I was accused that my only intention was to get confirmation that my camera is crap. Maybe.
All I can say is, I did not spend my afternoon to take these pictures and my evening to write this post, just to p_ss onto Fuji-owner's legs! I would really appreciate some mindful exchange.
This must have been the 10th test session, it's driving me crazy. I refuse to think that thousands of happy Fuji owners have the same results and like them. I bought this Fuji after long research and full of enthusiam. I'm not a fan of any brand. I could survive the finacial loss to just sell it, but I changed to Fuji for good reasons (weight!!, lens selection!) so I'm still reluctant.

The entire picture:

Crop Canon:

Crop Fuji: look for example center, half left

The entire picture:

Canon Crop 1:

Fuji Crop 1, apparently slightly more OOF (why?? I focused on the same item), but that's not the point. Look at the reed in the front and the grass on the other bank:

Canon Crop 2:

Fuji Crop 2:

The entire image:

Canon Crop:

Fuji Crop, look at the stones - like painted with watercolors:

The entire Picture:

Canon Crop:

Fuji Crop, the unnatural high-contrast reed and the watercolor green stuff on the other bank:

The entire picture:

Canon Crop:

Fuji Crop, again more OOF than the Canon although I focused on the same thing. However, it's not about being OOF, but how awful it looks:

The entire picture (taken with the Laowa 9mm prime):

Crop, just to show that this effect happes with all lenses:

The entire picuture:

Canon Crop:

Fuji Crop, I focused on the bike. Nothing in this image is in focus, not even accidently the branches in the foreground. How can this happen?:

The entire picture:

Canon Crop 1:

Fuji Crop 1, yes different exposure, nevertheless, check the unnaturally high contrast weed:

Canon Crop 2:

Fuji Crop 2, again the weed, this time closer to the camera:

Bonus: Cat Content! Perfectly in focus fore- and background. But my lovely cat's fur looks like, well, what do you think?

Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm X-T20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rlx
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow