Teen son DSLR options (He maybe going pro)

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
ToxicTabasco
ToxicTabasco Senior Member • Posts: 2,334
Re: Teen son DSLR options (He maybe going pro)

101101 wrote:

I am in a dilemma of sorts, trying to guide my son to which system and camera to use.

I inherited some camera equipment from my late brother.
I gave my son the Sony SLT55 with kit lens and we are in the process of repairing a zoom lens with a stuck aperture ring. He has been shooting since he was 10 and 3 years with his current setup. His shots have improved to a point that he is shooting professionally with his current setup at 15 years of age.

The rest is a smorgasbord of various lenses and lighting.
The notable lens includes a 28-135mm macro lens and 20-35mm (3.5-4.5). Both of which are made in Japan Canons. One Sigma 150-500mm (5-6.3) APO HSM. They are all Canon mount lenses.

My question is....should he buy a body to suit the lens or sell it all and move to a new system?

The caveat is that he will be self-funded and he has only one gig which is paying a fair price. Before I forget, we are located in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Kindly detail your decision thank you.

IME I would let him decide on which path to take.  If he is pro and making money, he should be allowed to make adult decisions, and learn from his experiences and learn to take full responsibility for his choices in camera gear and in life.

If he is passionate his decisions will be better than yours for what his vision is.

That's just my take on the situation.  Everyone has their own way of doing things and running a family.  Good luck to you and your son.  Sound like he is in the process of achieving his goals.  And will be successful.

ToxicTabasco's gear list:ToxicTabasco's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow