Sony 7A3 vs. Sandisk SDXC Extreme Pro 64GB U3

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SonyOB
SonyOB New Member • Posts: 43
Sony 7A3 vs. Sandisk SDXC Extreme Pro 64GB U3

I learned the day before yesterday that this card has an issue with the Sony 7A3 with the version 1.0 firmware. I learned because the cards that I bought gave an error message when inserted in slot n:o 2, but work OK in slot number 1.

Both cards did the same thing. None of my other cards had any trouble so I Googled up the issue. Sure enough, the problem had been documented.
What happened next is just so typical.

When I learned that there is a firmware update 2.10 which corrects the problem, I downloaded it from the Sony site. It said it was for Mac. I connected the camera to my MacBook Air running OS X 10.14.3. The PlayMemories DeskTop fired up, something I did not expect at all. I did not even know I had it on my Mac. I searched the app for the update tool but there was none. Not like the EOS tool I have used before.

The updater on the downloaded disk image did nothing apart from telling me to connect the camera (and the PlayMemories launched again and again). Then I read that I need to install a software updater also. I could not find this item anywhere. I tried all different things, restarting and removing batteries etc. No success.

The resolution: The version 2.10 firmware updater works with 32-bit Macs but not 64-bit machines. So they said. Digging in Sony's site, I finally found a recommendation to use a Windows machine for the update.

I ordered two Sony SF64UX2 64GB cards. Now I am hesitating whether to send the SanDisks back or to keep them with the hope that the promised 3.0 firmware update will make them compatible with the slot n:o 2 of my Sony 7A3.
There is nothing wrong with the cards. The seller has not sold me faulty merchandise.
Will he pay me a refund?

I hate losing time trying to install my way out of a dead end...I really am tired of it!

I also hate features that are not updated like the 'Tag a product' button that does not let me tag this product.

SonyOB's gear list:SonyOB's gear list
Sony a7 III Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Rokinon 100mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow