First FF camera - which lens

Started 5 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
YGIL New Member • Posts: 2
First FF camera - which lens

I've been shooting with Canon APSC cameras for almost 8 years now (starting with 550D and now 70D). In the coming few months however I'm planning to move to FF - most likely the EOS 6D mark II (unless I'm convinced to go with the EOS RP, which is a different story). The 'excuse' for this move is a trip to Iceland where I'm hoping to shoot a lot of scenery.

The question is, which initial set of lens should I pair it with? In terms of EF-compatible lens I have the 50mm f/1.8, the 85mm f/1.8 and the Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6. My other lenses are EF/S compatible and will not be usable on the FF camera). So I need lens to cover everything below 50mm, with emphasis on landscape/scenery shooting. My budget is limited so I will not be able to cover everything I would like, at least not on day 1. I can probably afford ~1000-1500$ for new lens at this point.

The two options I am contemplating are the following:

- Get the EF 24-105 (probably the f/3.5-5.6 STM version) as a general walk-around lens, and the 16-35 f/4 for specialized landscape shooting

- Get the 24-70 f/2.8 (Tamron G2 or Canon if I can get a good deal) as walk-around+landscape lens, and give up entirely the range below 24.

In both options I will continue to use the 70-300 for the long range, at least until I can afford a decent 70-200 lens.

I also thought about the new Tamron 17-35 f/2.8-4 as a low-cost alternative but reviews have been 'good not great' so not sure I would like to invest in something that I may end up replacing quickly

Any thoughts/suggestions on these options, or other suggestions altogether, will be most welcome.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow