Zoom recommendation for safari

Started Mar 13, 2019 | Questions thread
PentUp Contributing Member • Posts: 531
Re: Zoom recommendation for safari

Jon Schick wrote:

I've been on one safari - to three camps in Botswana over several days - and even for larger animals like lions I think 300mm would be a minimum. Most of my best images came from an old Tamron 500mm mirror lens (which I would not recommend unless you really want to learn how to use it) mounted on a K20D, which was the best Pentax body at that time. The remaining best images were twilight landscape shots taken with the FA35/2 and a Voigtlander 58/1.4.

If I was to go back now I'd take a zoom reaching at least 400mm for daytime, and a fast constant f2.8 shorter zoom for when the light goes... Perhaps the 50-135 or a 70-200.

I agree, 300 is minimum and I have successfully used a Pentax 55-300. But it is not adequate for birds and Southern Africa is a paradise of interesting birds. Once you have a lens that reaches out to 500mm, you will never go back when it comes to bird photography.

But I agree, if there is a budget concern, you can get away with a 55-300 or even a Sigma 18-300.

PentUp's gear list:PentUp's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 II Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow