Lenses for north west USA national parks and Vancouver Islands

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Erwin86 Junior Member • Posts: 30
Lenses for north west USA national parks and Vancouver Islands

Hi everyone!

This summer my girlfriend and I are going to do a road trip through the North West of the USA and Vancouver Island. We will be visiting Waterton Lakes NP (Canada), Glacier NP (USA), Yellowstone, Mount Rainier NP, Olympic NP and Vancouver Island.

I currently have an XT-3 with the XF18-55 kit lens and a XF 100-400 (I will take both with me). The last one will be very useful for my wildlife shots. Besides wildlife I will be mostly shooting landscapes (we hardly will visit any bigger cities). I prefer to use zooms on my travels, because they are a lot more versatile.

My question is, what lenses do I need to bring on this trip. We will be flying from Europe and travelling by car. Which means I don't have to travel really light, but I have to be able to take my camera bag as hand luggage on the plane.

I'm really thinking about getting a 10-24mm (which is on sale over here right now) to capture some sweeping landscapes. I think 18mm will just be too narrow for some places (I used 16mm a lot at my previous Nikon 16-85). But any advice on this for these NP's is very welcome.

My second question is if I need something between the focal range of 55mm and 100mm. I like to take landscape pictures in telephoto range as well, since you can capture the grandeur of the landscapes a lot better. I thought about getting a 18-135 as a more versatile lens, but reviews of that lens keep me from buying it. I won't expect prime IQ of it, but I'm just not sure if the IQ will match the 18-55 which I'm very pleased with.

I'm not really on a budget, but it's just a hobby for me, so I don't want to spend an awful lot of money or take a ton of lenses with me.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Erwin86's gear list:Erwin86's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Phase One Capture One Pro +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jrk
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow