It’s Nikon’s fault that I’m writing this......

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
rsser
rsser Regular Member • Posts: 251
Re: It’s Nikon’s fault that I’m writing this......

SilvanBromide wrote:

LenRivers wrote:

This only works if mirrorless is the goal. There is no savings cost or physical size if the plan is to copy your DSLR set up with mirrorles.

I pretty much replicated my dSLR setup with mirrorless (over the space of about two years, during which I continued to adapt a number of my dSLR lenses - I'm down to only a couple now).

Cost was about the same, give or take here and there. But the physical size saving is beyond dispute. Mostly not in the lenses (though it varies), but the bodies are about half the size (and half the weight), and that does actually count for quite a bit.

That was my goal

however I never would have sold my D850 and D750 if I was rebuying Sony f2.8 zooms and f 1.4 primes again to duplicate Nikon.

You wouldn't, but others would. You seem to be assuming everyone has priorities/preferences similar to yours.

It also makes no sense to me if I would have stayed with Nikon to buy the mirrorless counterparts.

Still i am sure no one thought Nikon or canon would get into mirrorless.

I have no idea at all why you would say that.

Almost everyone I've spoken to over a number of years (in person or online) has assumed that both Canon and Nikon would enter the FF mirrorless market at some point - just a question of when.

Sony has more years doing this and if this was years ago I would still buy a dslr over Sony first generation stuff

Fair enough - the first gen FF bodies were limited in a number of ways. I didn't consider making the switch until the Rii, and even then there were some compromises (most of which were addressed with the Riii).

I had the Sony A6500 for a short time it was very problematic for me.

Perhaps it didn't suit you, but the a6500 is a fine camera for what it is (i.e. compact but capable crop body). I assume you hoped it would be something else.

I went back to Fuji X for a short time and played with Panasonic which the G9 is a fun camera I only need one lens is as my investment

anyway if the Sony A73 was a failure for what I do with the minimiistic kinda of lenses I found work for me I would have waited longer for mirrorless to get it really right.

To me I don’t see how the Sony A9 is a better camera to the A73

If you don't need blackout free 20fps bust shooting, artefact free (no rolling shutter) silent shooting or the fastest and most sophisticated AF tracking in the business, then *for you* the a9 may not be better than the a7iii.

But again, you seem to assume that anything that doesn't matter to you doesn't matter to anyone else either. It does.

yes I agree Sony has some better tracking options but Nikon is no slouch or every single professional major shooter would have Sony gear. I have not seen this yet. This is more a pro or consumer thing

No, it's not a pro or consumer thing.

Some pros need tracking and speed, some don't need either. Same with consumers.

Anyone, pro or consumer who shoots fast moving subjects of any kind, and especially in low light - or who shoots events or situations that call for silent shutter, the a9 is going to be a mile and a half ahead of anything out there.

I also don’t really see any wedding photographers in my area shoooting mirrorless let alone most everyday consumers. They will spend $1000 on a iPhone faster then $2k to $3000 min on an advanced camera

I can't comment on what you do or don't see, but based on the above comment I suspect your information base is insufficient. FWIW, pros I encounter *will* spend upwards of $3k to get gear that does what they need in a camera body (frequently more than one). And some of them are definitely using mirrorless.

i am sure the Sony A9 mark 2 will be the next thing and opinions will change again

Sure. But even with the new a9 firmware that's been announced, the ground is shifting.

The A9's rolling shutter effect - tilting lamposts - is as bad as my G9 (@ 20 fps & 1/1600).  It may do better at golf clubs.

-- hide signature --

It's a tool, not a religion.

rsser's gear list:rsser's gear list
Nikon D500 Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow