Tell me more about the Panasonic FZ1000

Started 1 week ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
David
David Regular Member • Posts: 328
Tell me more about the Panasonic FZ1000

Hi everyone,

I'm an owner of the Panasonic ZS100 and I really like the camera overall, and I got it from trading in my Olympus E-5 and 2 old lenses; one being the 70-300mm giving me 140-600mm zoom. I used that combination for birding and some wildlife, but it wasn't my main focus of photography, so that's why I traded them in for the ZS100. For the long zoom, I still use the Kodak Z981 having an optical zoom of 26mm-676mm and so far, it is adequate for my needs, but poor AF for sports or wildlife.

Anyhow, I recently attended a photo meetup where a couple of ladies were using the newer super zooms; the Nikon P1000, the Panasonic FZ1000 and the Sony RX10IV and I was impressed by the quality of telephoto images that came out of these cameras. The Sony in particular was sharp and detailed and the FZ1000 was not too far behind. The only problem with the Sony is the price and for me, occasional birding and wildlife is not really something I would plunk down a lot of cash. Having said that; I miss the quality from my 4/3 E-5 and I currently do not have a camera that can do effective C-AF to track birds, dogs, horses and wildlife. So recently I looked at the prices for the FZ-1000 and they are becoming more affordable probably because of the Mk2 release. I don't see really any difference between Mk1 and Mk2, so for $400 to $495, the Mk1 FZ1000 is a good deal. I get a long telephoto lens, decent C-AF and a large 1" sensor just like my ZS-100 plus the Panasonic menu which I really liked.

So my questions are--

1, Will the C-AF be capable of keeping up with BIF decently?

2, Can I extend the 400mm up to 800mm or 1120mm using some sort of cropping and maintain sharp image quality? I can always upsize a small MP file using Super Resolution.

3, How reliable is the camera; what is the current firmware right now?

4, Does it have an electronic shutter like the ZS-100?

5, Is the optics on the FZ-1000 sharp @ 400mm?

And anything else I should be aware of buying the FZ-1000? And is there places where I can buy cheaper than $400 used or $495 new.

To be honest, I never considered this bridge camera until I saw the images that were made by the FZ-1000 and I was impressed by the sharpness and color. And to me; it's like buying a telephoto lens for my m43 MFT camera, but it comes with a more capable AF system than what I have now with my older Olympus E-P5. The telephoto images should be far superior than my current super zoom Kodak Z981.

Do I have the right thinking? Thoughts, experiences and sample images are welcome and I thank you all first for helping me out on this.

David's gear list:David's gear list
Kodak EasyShare Z981 Nikon Coolpix AW110 Panasonic ZS100 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +13 more
ANSWER:
Kodak EasyShare Z981 Nikon Coolpix P1000 Olympus E-5 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic ZS100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow