Z6 or A7iii ??

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
OP billyb12321 New Member • Posts: 24
Re: Z6 or A7iii ??

MILC man wrote:

billyb12321 wrote:

I mainly use my camera as a hobby with occasional jobs (although I hope to get more photography gigs when I go to uni next year). The fact that it only has one card slot isn't a deal breaker and SD cards seem to break (physically) quite easily so the XQD format may be a benefit despite the initial card price and single slot.

sd cards are extremely reliable, and generally cheaper than xqd.

Agreed - I haven't had an SD card corrupt, however they physically fall apart easily - unlike XQD. However as you say, they are much cheaper - so if one breaks and I have a backup which I would with the a7iii then I can just get a new SD.

I really like the look of the ergonomics and build quality of the Z6 (e.g. much better weather sealing than the sony)

the a7iii is loaded with weather seals, so no, the z6 doesn't have "much better weather sealing".

Sony a7iii

Although the A7iii has weather sealing there are many horror stories of water damage and in general it doesn't have the same reputation of Nikon as the Z6 has the same weather sealing as the D850

and the fact that I already have two lenses I can use on it is also drawing me towards it.

you'll never get native af results with that, and you should be aware that Nikon milc does not support screw-drive af at all.

However there are still many ways the a7iii is better - better AF (although eye AF is coming soon to the Z6), better battery life and most importantly a better lens selection.

Nikon eyeaf is not in the same league as sony eyeaf, and z-mount af-c is weak sauce at best.

Again true, but Nikon is likely to catch up to Sony in the future and at least come very close in eye AF and AFC

Nikon lenses are not lighter, that new z-mount 50/1.8 for example is a nice piece of glass, but it's much heavier than the fe55/1.8.

Definitely true at the moment, I'm just not sure how it will change with the releases of new Z lenses - but there are definitely some very good sony lenses out at the moment - pulling me towards sony!!

i'd suggest posting this to the sony ff milc forum.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow