Nikon 85mm 1.4g

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Marianne Oelund Veteran Member • Posts: 7,777
That's cheating

Ray Ritchie wrote:

I have the Z7, not the Z6, but I have been using this lens successfully for portrait work. One sample below:

Other examples from that particular shoot are on my Flickr page in the album "Alli and Eduardo."

You've eliminated all evidence of CA.

That's one area where both of the Nikon G 85's suffer, compared to more modern designs such as the Sigma 85 Art and Zeiss Milvus 85/1.4.

For example, in night cityscapes at wide aperture, there is significant purple fringing around lights (the 1.4G is a little better than the 1.8G here).

At about f/2, the 1.8G is a little sharper than the 1.4G, but in the f/4 to f/5.6 range, the 1.4G still holds its own for sharpness against the competition.  They're still excellent stopped down, but at wide apertures you don't want any high-contrast edges in your scene.

I tried using the 1.8G on my Nikon 1 V3 to photograph a skating show a few years ago, and the result was a mess.  The 1.4G would probably have done a little better, but it won't completely eliminate these issues:

Passionate Purple courtesy of the 85/1.8G (85/1.4G has same issue at wide aperture, just a bit less)

-- hide signature --

Source credit: Prov 2:6
- Marianne

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow