Changing out the D850 with a D5. Would you do it? (Wildlife)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
BodkinsBest
BodkinsBest Regular Member • Posts: 335
Re: Changing out the D850 with a D5. Would you do it? (Wildlife)

Lasse p wrote:

So i got offered to trade my Nikon D850 for a Nikon D5. No money involved, just a straight up trade. Both about the same age and with the same amount of shutter actions.

I am an amateur, shooting mainly birds and wildlife. On occation i do a little macro and i have done a few weddings for family and friends. However i am not a pro and i am finding that the D850 can deliver some amazing shots, but i am also finding it a massive Challenge, using it for speedy bird shots which is likely down to my technique.

My lens compliment are far less impressive than my camera. Consisting of the Nikkor

200-500 5.6 as my main bird lens.

A 70-200 2.8 FL ED VR for portraits etc.

A Sigma 105mm macro lens

and a cheap Nikon 50mm 1.8G for all purpose shots.

Now with the above in mind, would you do the trade? I know the D5 is a much more expensive camera, and i like to think that it is a little more forgiving then the D850 because of its faster shutter speed, deeper buffer and smaller sensor. But then i look at a few of those really good shots i am getting with the D850 and thinking hmm.. will i be dissapointed in the image quality from the D5?

What are your thoughts?

Here´s a few of my better shots with the D850.

D5 shoots at the same shutter speed as the D850. 1/8000.

BodkinsBest's gear list:BodkinsBest's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow