Changing out the D850 with a D5. Would you do it? (Wildlife)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Nick Edwards
Nick Edwards Regular Member • Posts: 240
Re: Changing out the D850 with a D5. Would you do it? (Wildlife)

I own both bodies and use both for wildlife. Mainly brown hares at dawn and dusk, for which I was shortlisted in the 2019 Sony World Photography Awards (Natural World and Wildlife Open) and the 2018 British Wildlife Photography Awards.

I principally use my bodies with my 600mm f4 E FL or my 300mm f2.8G ED VRII for wildlife.  I’ve never had a Nikon 200-500mm, so can’t comment on the difference that would make.

I use my gripped D850 (with a D5 battery) nearly all the time that I can stay under around ISO 4000 - 5000 (keeping a suitably high shutter speed, with the lenses normally wide open).

In poor light, and/or where the subject is very close and likely to move at speed, benefitting from the slightly better AF, I’ll move to the D5, if I have time.

But if I could only have one body for wildlife, I’d have to keep with the D850. All the shortlisted photos above (all at dawn) were taken with that camera.

I love my D5 as a general workhorse and I have great confidence in it. I had it before the D850 was released and therefore didn’t have to make a choice at the time (I never had a D800 or D810, having moved along the D3, D4 line before).

But the D850 is my main wildlife choice.

-- hide signature --

A l'eau, c'est l'heure

Nick Edwards's gear list:Nick Edwards's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow