Changing out the D850 with a D5. Would you do it? (Wildlife)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lasse p Regular Member • Posts: 146
Changing out the D850 with a D5. Would you do it? (Wildlife)

So i got offered to trade my Nikon D850 for a Nikon D5. No money involved, just a straight up trade. Both about the same age and with the same amount of shutter actions.

I am an amateur, shooting mainly birds and wildlife. On occation i do a little macro and i have done a few weddings for family and friends. However i am not a pro and i am finding that the D850 can deliver some amazing shots, but i am also finding it a massive Challenge, using it for speedy bird shots which is likely down to my technique.

My lens compliment are far less impressive than my camera. Consisting of the Nikkor

200-500 5.6 as my main bird lens.

A 70-200 2.8 FL ED VR for portraits etc.

A Sigma 105mm macro lens

and a cheap Nikon 50mm 1.8G for all purpose shots.

Now with the above in mind, would you do the trade? I know the D5 is a much more expensive camera, and i like to think that it is a little more forgiving then the D850 because of its faster shutter speed, deeper buffer and smaller sensor. But then i look at a few of those really good shots i am getting with the D850 and thinking hmm.. will i be dissapointed in the image quality from the D5?

What are your thoughts?

Here´s a few of my better shots with the D850.

(pictures removed per the O/P request)

Lasse p's gear list:Lasse p's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
Nikon D5 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow