Choosing a camera in this crazy tech world

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
RebDovid2 Regular Member • Posts: 127
Re: Choosing a camera in this crazy tech world

In 1999, I would have driven a few miles to Newtonville (Mass.) camera, talked with a well-informed sales person, held a few cameras in hands, and done some research at the library and on the internet. I then would have compared pricing at B&H. If they were not too far apart, I’d buy locally.

In 2019, I started with online research, here and elsewhere. I thought about my reasons for buying a camera rather than just relying on my Pixel 3. I then drove a somewhat longer distance to Newtonville Camera, which has relocated to neighboring Waltham.

At that point, I was most interested in an MFT. I soon realized, however, that as much as I liked the feel of the Olympus OM-D E-M10 II/III in my hands,  my budget and intended uses fit better with an advanced compact.

The well-informed, no-pressure salesperson recommended the Sony RX100III or IV, depending on my ultimate budget. But it didn’t feel right in my hands: too small, fiddle, nd slippery for my taste, and I thought  the EVF both unsatisfactory in itself and difficult for me as a glasses wearer.

The Canon G5X also was recommmended. It felt good in my hands. But reviews, especially from here, raised issues.

Unfortunately, they no longer sell Panasonic—some years ago, I bought he FZ10 from them—and so couldn’t show me the LX100  I/II, whose reviews, specifications, and pictures (of the camera) appealed to me. This sent me off to Hunt’s.

Along the way, I read here about Greentoe. Based on its, as it turns out misleading, representations. I concluded that saving c. $150 was a large enough difference to justify taking up Hunt’ time and buying elsewhere. Had I fully appreciated that, on an apples-to-apples basis, the saving was only $50, I think I would have bought from Hunt’s.

RebDovid2's gear list:RebDovid2's gear list
Panasonic LX100 II Google Pixel 3
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Labe
MOD Labe
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow