Water vs Air Cooling, But is water cooling Quiet?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
afterburn Senior Member • Posts: 1,075
It depends

reid thaler wrote:

I'm planning on building a new computer with an Asus motherboard, (likely the Prime Z390-A, but open to suggestions), and the 9700K when I can get one. I'll let the Asus software do the overclocking.

I know that water cooling is more efficient, but is it quiet? I've been offered a Corsair H80i GT cooler for $45. My case is an Antec P182.

What are the ideal temps to run this 95w CPU?

Thanks!

Reid
www.lumiograph.com
Kodak Brownie
Argus 126
Quaker Oats Container Pinhole Camera

Watercooling loops are not necessarily quieter than air cooling, nor do they necessarily perform better.  High-end air coolers will perform as good or better than AIO water coolers while being as quiet or quieter than those AIO's.

Going custom loop water cooling allows you to get more performance and quieter operation at the cost of, well, cost. It gets really expensive, really quick. Putting in more headroom by using larger or more radiators allows the fans to spin slower and thus making the system quieter.

In the end, it is all about dissipating heat to the surrounding area. It doesn't really matter if it is done with a fan on the cooling tower on top of your CPU or a fan on a radiator. It is all about surface area. More surface area equals better cooling at the same noise or same cooling with less noise, be it radiator surface or air cooler surface.

It is fun to build though. (running an overclocked i7 5960X with custom loop water cooling)

-- hide signature --

Gijs from The Netherlands
Nikon D800/Fuji X-T1

afterburn's gear list:afterburn's gear list
Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow