Is it possible to return/replace X-T3 after this?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Lettermanian
Lettermanian Senior Member • Posts: 1,278
Re: Is it possible to return/replace X-T3 after this?

There are two reasons why I won't buy silver Fuji bodies anymore:

- The black lettering on the dials is harder for me to see in low light.

- The silver/graphite finish looks worse than the black  (imo) when (not if) it gets scratched.

A couple of years ago I had purchased a used graphite X-T1 from Amazon without seeing any pics of it (just a description). When I received it I saw that the graphite finish had been worn off of the areas where the strap lugs are located. Every other scratch on the body also stood out. I kept the body because it was such a fun camera, but received a further discount on the price when I complained that the wear condition was worse than described. Since then I've only purchased black bodies, which show wear more acceptably to me.

For what it's worth, the X-H1 Press Release notes do state the claim for durability of the finish and the scratch resistant rating:

"2. Highly robust, durable body and easy operability results in comfortable shooting in various scenes

(1) In addition to the camera's dust-resistant, water-resistant properties, and the ability to operate in temperatures down to -10°C, the camera also uses a 25% thicker magnesium alloy compared to the FUJIFILM X-T2. The structure for attaching the mount is modified, resulting in a more compact size and lighter weight body that maintains high precision and strong resistance to impact shock and other sources of deformation.
Higher granularity coating on the camera's external surface provides a high-quality scratch-resistant coating with a surface hardness equivalent to 8H*4.

• *4The JIS Standard which indicates the scratch-resistant."

In contrast, there is no such claim to any scratch resistance or any measuring standard in the press release for the X-T3.

There have been numerous past threads where people have discussed the "silver vs black" question, which may have helped the OP to consider the pros and cons of the camera finish. In the end the onus is on the buyer to thoroughly research their prospective gear, including the durability of the finish, if that is a significant concern.

"Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things;
and give me life in your ways." - Psalm 119:37

Lettermanian's gear list:Lettermanian's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-H1 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow