This sounds promising?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
BrentSchumer
BrentSchumer Contributing Member • Posts: 719
Re: This sounds promising?

A lot of interesting content in that interview.  The piece that really stands out to me is that Sony sees little momentum in entry-level APS-C cameras and wants to pursue sales of upscale APS-C bodies (the A6400 is considered mid-range).  This puts to bed the idea that Sony views APS-C as novice cameras that will only be used with the kit lens.  On the other hand, his vague language on APS-C glass (at least, as read with Google Translate) and emphasis on the benefits of a shared E Mount do not point to investing resources into the crop ecosystem.  We will have to see.

Personally, I am happy with my current pair of crop lenses (18-135mm and 35mm), as they are small, light, and conducive to travel.  That said, I think Sony would be well served with a better kit lens, brighter zooms, and actual telezooms.  A Mount got a 55-300mm lens in 2012, and I would love to see something similar on E Mount with OSS for <$600 and <600g (I would buy it immediately). FE telezooms are both too large and too expensive for me to be comfortable traveling with, and I can't believe that I'm the only one who wants a decent small xx-300mm lens.

As for bodies, I'm waiting for Amazon to clear out their A6400 backlog.  This camera will be replacing my fine A6000, primarily for better eye AF on trips.  I missed several memorable shots traveling last year due to out-of-focus faces, and the A6000 body will be going to a family member who wants to get into photography more.

BrentSchumer's gear list:BrentSchumer's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6400 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow