Robin Wong's 12-200 review is out

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
jwilliams Veteran Member • Posts: 4,555
Adjectives ...

Jeff wrote:

jwilliams wrote:

tomhongkong wrote:

Then there is the gentleman who is currently criticising everything which Olympus does. I do not deny you the right to do that, but if you really feel that way about it you should sell your $3K worth of gear (much less than I have, incidentally) and move on to something you like. Tip,.. life is too short to keep hating any product!

Guess you are talking about me so I might as well chime in.

First, I never give some sort of unwavering loyalty to any product, system or company. To do so would be silly.

Second, this is a gear forum and it seems to me to make sense to discuss new products. Now many seem to think that that only allows positive things to be said. Strange anyone would think in this manner. If we just blindly heap praise on a given manufacturer how are they to know if they are or are not making products that perform well and suit our needs?

Why would I sell my Oly gear? For the most part I love it. Yes you read that right.

If someone wants to hear me sing the praises of Oly start a thread about the 40-150 2.8. I'll chime in and heap praise on it. Great lens and performs in-line with its pricing. Their 17 1.8 is probably the most underrated m43 lens out there. 25 1.8 - fantastic lens and a great bargain. And so and so on - but only for products that deserve such praise.

The only Oly product I currently own that I am not real happy with is the 14-150 II. This lens could have solved that problem, but from what I know at this moment it is just an expanded FL range version of the former with a too big price tag.

I can love some gear from a manufacturer and point to how silly/bad/poor/overpriced other products of theirs are. This is really simple to do. Just evaluate each piece independently and in a very thorough and fact based manner.

For me, Oly has not made a product I am interested in for a couple of years. Some are nice products, but are simply overpriced for what they do (f1.2 primes come to mind). Others, like the EM1x, are just a huge waste of resources that have resulted in the rest of the camera product line going stale. If I just praise everything they produce, that is just an incentive to make more products that I will not buy. They do want me to buy their products - don't they?

You might reread your post. Do you see the words you use? For example, you 'love', 'sing praises', 'great' some things, but others are 'silly/bad/poor/overpriced' or an 'awful waste of resources?

There's a lot of space between those extremes. It's not a binary world.

Binary world? Of course not. In case you have not noticed, this forum tends to be a place of extremes. Inevitably, some of it rubs off on you after a while. Still, I stand behind everything I wrote. Feel free to adjust the adjectives as you see fit.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow