Robin Wong's 12-200 review is out

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
tomhongkong Veteran Member • Posts: 3,794
Re: Even taking into account that Robin is a master...

I don't mean to reply specifically to you, although your comments do feature in what I say.

I cannot remember such a bunch of whining willies as the people who have responded to this announcement.  And with so little reason

So, it is not F4.0 at the long end.  Have you worked out how big, heavy and costly that would be? If you pause to think, that is not going to happen

So you would prefer a 12-100.  Well there are people who would prefer an 18-250, or all sorts of other ranges, and it may not be for you.  No need to get upset about it.  Get real, Olympus are not entirely stupid and have no doubt done a market survey of what will sell best.  If you really want 12-100 (and 14-150 is not good enough) there is a perfectly good lens for you, as you know...if you spend a little more.  However the 12-100 will never deliver images to match any 12-200 at the long end (unless it is made of bottle glass0

Then there are those people who think that you can get the same IQ from a 1 inch superzoom.  Two problems, the IQ is not the same (check images in the DPreview studio link) and when you need to use another lens, say a wide aperture low light lens, you are stuffed.

Then there is the gentleman who is currently criticising everything which Olympus does.  I do not deny you the right to do that, but if you really feel that way about it you should sell your $3K worth of gear (much less than I have, incidentally) and move on to something you like.  Tip,.. life is too short to keep hating any product!

It seems to me that the lens is a perfectly reasonable proposition if it works at the long end.  We do not have any proper samples yet, and I will be one of the first to forget about it if it does not deliver.  Currently, though, there is no single lens M4/3 alternative (and I cannot think of a alternative in other formats either, does not say there is not one, though)

Meanwhile a civilised and sensible discussion (I know that is not what happens here) would be nice

tom

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow