Robin Wong's 12-200 review is out

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Auf Reisen Contributing Member • Posts: 625
Re: Robin Wong's 12-200 review is out

gary0319 wrote:

Auf Reisen wrote:

The problem with Robin is that he's a bloody magician that makes even the 75-300 sing. And that is a lens that I find rather so-so. So of course the pictures he provides look great, I'm not sure how much that tells me about the lenses' capabilities in lesser hands.

Hmmmm... so now Olympus not only has to make tiny, excellent quality lenses at bargain basement prices to make some folks happy, but these lenses also have to make up for the inadequacies of the user?

Good Grief, Charlie Brown!

Oh for Christ's sake Lucy, apply a little charity to what I wrote.

Yes, one function of technology is to make up for the inadequacies of users. We have intervallometers because I can't be trusted to take time-lapse shots with a stop-watch. We have zebra warnings because I can't be trusted to perfectly fine-tune exposure by myself. We have stabilisation technology because I and many others have less than perfectly steady hands.

This notion that a perfectly capable photographer can work around all the issues that technology is designed to mitigate and that therefore, we shouldn't expect technology to mitigate these issues, is ludicrous. We don't need small and light cameras, Ansel Adams used medium format!

If a former sharpshooter who now makes a living as a brain surgeon takes perfectly sharp pictures at 1/2s that tells me less about the qualities of stabilisation technology than if someone else had done it.

Makes sense? Good, now hold that football steady.

Auf Reisen's gear list:Auf Reisen's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow