Robin Wong's 12-200 review is out

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
gary0319
gary0319 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,388
Olympus pricing reflects sales volume reality.

jwilliams wrote:

JakeJY wrote:

Mark Ransom wrote:

String wrote:

Mark Ransom wrote:

Just curious, what's your definition of a consumer grade price? Almost $1000 doesn't really fit my definition.

For what this lens is, a retail price of $900 seems quite reasonable especially considering the next step up would only get you out to 100mm (with the 12-100Pro). It's 45% more expensive. If you don't think so, then there are cheaper options available that are almost always on sale... this one will be too eventually.

My question wasn't about value for money, it was about absolute prices. Again I think anything approaching $1000 puts it out of "consumer" territory.

For comparison, I have a Sigma 18-300 for my Pentax APS-C. It has the same 16.7x zoom range as the 12-200. List price is $579 and I picked it up for $400.

This was discussed in a previous thread, but third party prices are not comparable to first party. It's true that the third party list prices of consumer lenses in this zoom range tend to be around $600-650, but that's third party.

You can see an example in MFT superzoom of the Tamron 14-150 at $400, while the Olympus is $600. First party being 1.5x the price.

Multiply the $600*1.5 = $900, exactly the same difference.

Why does the Oly command a premium over the Tamron? Is it better? If not, then $600 is a fair price for that type of lens. m43 is an open standard so there is no proprietary knowledge Oly has.

I guess the positive we can take away is that we can pray Tamron will eventually makes a 12-200 and it will be priced at $600.

Unfortunately that is not likely as there is almost zero 3rd party lens development going on for m43. That Tamron lens was one of the early 3rd party m43 lenses before lens manufacturers realized there wasn't going to be the sales volume to support development specifically for m43.

I think you have hit on the actual reason that Olympus lenses (and most everything else, Olympus) is more expensive. The projected sales volume in Olympus Land for anything is low when compared to other brands. That’s part of the reason for the $3K E-M1X price.

I have come to realize that enjoying the benefits of the Olympus system, kind of takes one out of the Walmart or Best Buy “consumer” photography pricing, for the most part. There are no $399 or $499 CaNikon 2 lens kits available in Olympus Land, even an E-M10 III with the 14-42 EZ and the 40-150 consumer grade zooms will set you back about $750.

gary0319's gear list:gary0319's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow