***This week with your a7x/a9, Feb 23rd - Mar 1st, 2019***

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Paul Barnard
Paul Barnard Senior Member • Posts: 2,946
Re: Orion Nebula

Corelli wrote:

Looks good! I'm surprised you were able to get that with just 6 sec exposures.

I'm still struggling with trying to process mine to get maximum detail.

How did you process yours? And did you use any type of star tracking mount?

Cheers

I stacked 7 images each at 6 seconds exposure. I used ISO 640 then increased exposure in post by 2 stops. I used DXOPhotoLab to do the raw conversion and turned off all processing except the exposure push.

Each individual image was actually acceptable on its own.

I stacked them using Astro Pixel Processor.  I downloaded the 30 day trial to see how it worked and it seems pretty good.  It seemed to pull a lot more detail out of the images.  It wasn’t intuitive to use though... the final ‘spreading’ is the bit that brought it to life.

I used my home made type 4 barn door.  It is able to track 10 seconds with 400mm lens without trail.  I haven’t had time to fine tune it yet but I think it will be able to do better.  I only aligned to Polaris using skywalk on my iPhone. Simply put the screen against the camera arm and adjusted to center Polaris on the screen. For sure a terrible method but it seemed to get close enough.

I took a set at 4, 6 and 10 second exposure and the 6 second ones yielded the most detail.

Home made type 4 barn door

Paul Barnard's gear list:Paul Barnard's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony 2x Teleconverter (2016) +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow