Robin Wong's 12-200 review is out

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
daleeight Senior Member • Posts: 2,298
Re: Robin Wong's 12-200 review is out

Auf Reisen wrote:

Okapi001 wrote:

Auf Reisen wrote:

The problem with Robin is that he's a bloody magician that makes even the 75-300 sing. And that is a lens that I find rather so-so. So of course the pictures he provides look great, I'm not sure how much that tells me about the lenses' capabilities in lesser hands.

Do you really think optical characteristics of a lens depend on the user?

The final product depends on the interaction between user and tool.

I am sure Sebastian Vessel could complete a lap on the Nürburgring faster in an old Honda than I could in a modern Audi. Does that mean the Honda is a faster and more nimble car than the Audi? Probably not. But I would probably be quicker in the Audi than in the Honda, even if I can't actualise the full potential of either.

Robin's pictures show the full potential of any lens he's getting his hands on. Where the pictures fall short, they probably do so because of the limitations of the tool. What Robin's pictures don't show is the set of limitations produced by the interaction between user shortcomings and tool shortcomings.

You could probably beat Sebastian Vessel around the track, but Sebastian Vettel would probably pass you halfway around.

Couldn't resist the needling, but the rest of your post is spot on...

-- hide signature --

Dale

daleeight's gear list:daleeight's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow