Robin Wong's 12-200 review is out

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Auf Reisen Contributing Member • Posts: 612
Re: Robin Wong's 12-200 review is out

SHood wrote:

Auf Reisen wrote:

The problem with Robin is that he's a bloody magician that makes even the 75-300 sing. And that is a lens that I find rather so-so. So of course the pictures he provides look great, I'm not sure how much that tells me about the lenses' capabilities in lesser hands.

Well, he did provide some comments on how it compares with other consumer lenses.

"The sharpness is similar to what I remember seeing from the 75-300mm and 40-150mm R lenses, with the 12-200mm having a slight advantage in terms of overall detail retention and having better contrast."

"For anyone looking for a comparison against the 14-150mm lens, the extra 50mm at the telephoto end won’t mean much, but the 12mm wider angle can make a difference in fitting more into the frame in tight spaces. Also, based on my personal shooting experience, the 12-200mm is noticeably sharper (though by small margin) at the wider end. If you want to compare against the 12-100mm F4 PRO lens, the 12-100mm lens is superior in every aspect."

"What I was surprised with was the flare resistance, the nano coating on the lens is, I’m happy to report, not just a marketing trick and is effective. This is probably an area where the 12-200mm outperforms many of the higher grade Olympus lenses. I can get flare with less effort with 12-40mm and 12-100mm PRO lenses. I had the hood attached at all times during my shooting with the 12-200mm lens so I did remove it just to see if the lens gets more susceptible to flare and ghosting, but the results remain unchanged."

Yes, I read that segment. That is more or less the comparison I am looking for. But I am just not sure how much stock I should put in his memories from several months (or years) back. I was also not sure if he meant "the 12-200's long end is as sharp as the 75-300/40-150 at the long end" or if he meant the 12-200's entire range is like that. I am also not sure why he thinks the 75-300 and the 40-150 are equally sharp. In my experience, the latter is much sharper, throughout the range.
I wish someone would do a side-by-side comparison.

Auf Reisen's gear list:Auf Reisen's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow