How do you catalogue your images? Image database, DAM?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
cormierphoto Forum Member • Posts: 70
Re: How do you catalogue your images? Image database, DAM?

Ms Bigglesworth wrote:

I keep all RAW in the original default download structure - dated folders.

I don't use the "one catalog for everything" method. It's too bloated and time consuming to maintain.
Instead I create a new catalog for each project.

Each client gets a folder where all their projects are kept.
Projects can be named or dated.

Inside each of these Project folders are the LR folder, JPG folder, Proofs folder, PSD folder, and documents folder (contracts etc.)

For me, - this works great.

If I have non-client images they also are in file folders with sub-categories as needed -

Travel, Animals/Birds, Dogs, Family/Friends etc.

tags, and keywording etc. makes no sense to me if I'm having to do it tens of thousands of times over and over, one image at a time.

I do the same, for a good reason. Lightroom does not have network catalogs, and I like to be able to work on my laptop when away from home if needed, or just away from the computer in another room (having a master catalog would be a problem and lots of chance of corruption).

I keep my shoots / projects in an external drive, backed up to a larger external drive. I also backup my LR and PS presets to the external drive to be synched with my laptop. I identify each shoot by year and name. Everything is separated by the shoot in a folder: Lightroom catalog, RAW, jpg, TIFF files, retouched photos. Client photos get saved on my website in a client gallery for the client, and also on google drive / dropbox for easy Instagram reposting and cloud backup. I can move to my laptop from my PC with the external drive without missing a beat.

I find that the one project one catalog makes a lot of sense, keeps everything together.

cormierphoto's gear list:cormierphoto's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony a99 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow