This sounds promising?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
GaryW Veteran Member • Posts: 9,008
Re: Oy vey -- I do not feel deprived.

Euell wrote:

A couple of observations: the photo above is very nice.

I agree, very pleasant.

My screen, however, shows that the level of detail is likely not sufficient for a very large, sharp print.

I suppose.  When I looked at it yesterday, I was thinking maybe 8x10 would be perfectly fine.  11x14 maybe.  It might still be OK printed large, though, as hanging on the wall, you rarely have people putting their nose to it looking for the ultimate detail.  I see pretty good detail in the center with the bricks, the pattern in the tiled roof, texture on the lighthouse....  It starts to get soft towards the edge tho.
Not every photo needs to be the ultimate quality for large prints either.  However, this one in particular is so pretty, it does seem like you'd want to print it up and hang it on the wall.

Be that as it may, I like it. The other observation is that none of the lenses you listed have OSS, other than the 16-50 (which made the above) and the 55-210. And, of course, more than half are not from Sony and several are not AF. These may indeed serve your needs quite well, but can Sony do better for its APSC customers? Sure.

The thing is, everyone is going to have their own list of favorite lenses.  Perhaps this is why fans always complain about holes in lineups, because there's always some obscure thing missing (at least with Sony).  But I think it is not so bad in coverage these days.  I remember the early days....  Anyway, for me, I'd like to see more budget lenses, and I haven't seen much in that direction from Sony since the earlier Nex years.  Or maybe a mid-level telezoom -- something better than the 55-210, but not an FE lens.  Or maybe it starts to make sense to adapt that Canon ....  So yeah, there are a couple of things Sony could do for APS-C.

Must resist GAS....

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6500 +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow