Robin Wong's 12-200 review is out

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Simon97
Simon97 Senior Member • Posts: 2,994
Re: Robin Wong's 12-200 review is out

Coming from my 35mm film days, Having the field of view that is equivalent to 24-400mm in one lens is simply amazing. The superzooms that were out back then (1990s) were often in the 28-200 range and the IQ was not far from hopeless. The film speed I'd have to use with such a lens would be in the 200 to 800 iso range. These films were outperformed by the 5 to 8mp DSLRs that came soon after. Of course, MFT started at 12mp. We have it pretty good!

OTOH, is the price for such a convenience. I use the 12-32 kit lens and the 40-150R PF (plastic fantastic) which are cheap. Apertures slow down quick on superzooms and it is already f/6.2 at 100mm where it is f/5 on the PF. The PF retains decent IQ so is perhaps comparable the the 12-200 at similar FL. OTOH, the 12-200 appears to be mechanically a better made lens with a bit more reach. I'd have to weigh the convenience, cost and a few other factors before deciding.

Simon97's gear list:Simon97's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 360 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow