Terrible results using Pentax DA 40 2.8 XS

Started Feb 12, 2019 | Discussions thread
Richard Murdey
Richard Murdey Senior Member • Posts: 2,987
Re: Your shutter speed ...

Tatouzou wrote:

YMMV: I have the 21, the 40 and the 70.

The 70 delivers very pleasing portraits with a pleasing bokeh, but 105 mm FF equivalent is telephoto designed for subject isolation or perspective compression, and thus often too narrow for many scenes.

21 is moderate wide angle, very close to the angle of view of smartphone cameras. Some like it, other dont (too narrow or too wide).

40 is 60MM FF equivalent, a little longer than the "standard" 50mm FF equivalent ... But, as for me, I like it.

70->105mm is a short tele. Not as short as an 85mm, but pretty near.

21->is 31mm, mid way between 28mm and 35mm and the same FOV as the FA31mm on FF.

40->60mm is about 58mm, i.e. what was considered a standard lens before technology improved and standard lenses became 50mm as people wanted. But you do you, as the kids say these days.

Ultimately the principle downside with all these DA limiteds is not the focal length, however, its their slow (equivalent) aperture. A 58mm F1.4 is far more flexible than a 60mm F4 and-not-even-a-frikin'-macro.

Richard Murdey's gear list:Richard Murdey's gear list
Nikon D750 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow