** Weekly X Series Photo Thread 24 FEB - 02 MAR**

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 13,392
Re: Screech Owl in the woods

JS Burnie wrote:

Great captures and they work very well together. What time do owls wake up?

Thanks, JS!  Good question.  We typically start searching for owls late in the afternoon (30-60 minutes before sunset, give or take) and most often the owls we encounter are sleeping, or at least have their eyes closed.  This little guy opened his eyes for about 10 minutes or so before flying off and looking for his dinner.  That would be perhaps 15-30 minutes after sunset.  So, in general, this sort of photography is almost always done on a tripod in waning light... very often after sunset.  Since the owls tend to be quite stationary (until they're ready to fly off), one can often get away with a 1s or longer exposure.  I usually shoot away like crazy to ensure that I'm getting shots that aren't affected by subtle motion of the bird (which can impact at least half of the shots).  I prefer keeping my ISO relatively low just to ensure the best possible detail.

How's that for a very long answer to a very short question?

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow