Terrible results using Pentax DA 40 2.8 XS

Started Feb 12, 2019 | Discussions thread
Tatouzou
Tatouzou Senior Member • Posts: 2,023
Re: Your shutter speed ...

Model Mike wrote:

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

However, I can testify that regular DA40 Ltd is a fantastic lens, and well worth having. I strongly suggest you get an Ltd version instead of 40mm XS.

Can't agree. I got rid of mine. Despite being delightfully small, with good IQ, it ended up gathering dust. 40mm is too long for street or landscape photography, and too wide for portraiture. It's no coincidence that most manufacturers ignore this FL.

The 21 and 70 are marginally more useful, though I long ago got rid of my 21 in favour of a Ricoh GR which has a sharper lens and more accurate focusing.

The 70 is a gorgeous portrait lens, but requires agile and accurate AF especially when shooting wide open. A lens which can reap rewards, but is demanding of the photographer. It reallly needs a mirrorless body.

The Ltd's were a great selling point in their time but not sure that they would swing me towards Pentax now.

YMMV: I have the 21, the 40 and the 70.

The 70 delivers very pleasing portraits with a pleasing bokeh, but 105 mm FF equivalent is telephoto designed for subject isolation or perspective compression, and thus often too narrow for many scenes.

21 is moderate wide angle, very close to the angle of view of smartphone cameras. Some like it, other dont (too narrow or too wide).

40 is 60MM FF equivalent, a little longer than the "standard" 50mm FF equivalent (which would be 33mm in APS-C). Some may consider it too narrow compared for instance to the 35mm primes (the f2.4 plastic wonder or the stunning f2.8 macro limited). But, as for me, I like it.

-- hide signature --
 Tatouzou's gear list:Tatouzou's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM +24 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow