7dmk2 in 2019?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 22,155
Re: 7dmk2 in 2019?

trulandphoto wrote:

I've been deciding how to get some extra reach and speed to complement my 5DIII bodies. Lenses didn't really work due to cost and bulk.

I decided on a used 7DII after considering newer XXD and Rebel bodies.

Crop DSLR bodies I've owned (and sold) are 1DIII, 7D, 80D, 70D, 60D, 50D, 30D and SL1. I'm hoping the 7DII will be what I'm looking for.

As long as you understand and accept its limitations, it can be a satisfying DSLR to use.

It isn't a camera where you can under-expose ISO 100 by 4 stops and get ISO-1600-like results, although the character of noise is very fine and random compared to many other cameras.

At high ISOs, it's visibly as good (when normalized for subject; not for the pixels) as the 5D4 when you would have to crop the 5D4 1.6x, and better than a 1.6x crop from all the other Canon FF cameras except the 1Dx series. It has more high-ISO noise, though, than something like the Nikon D500 which has a great sensor except for its annoying lack of an AA filter.

It doesn't have great f/8 AF; it's only good for center-point with relatively stationary objects with good contrast and simple scene depth near the AF points. The lack of better f/8 AF vision and more f/8 AF points is the sore spot with the camera that makes me wish for a 7D3; the 7D2 was in development just a few moths too early, IMO, to get the better f/8 AF that it should have had.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow