** Weekly X Series Photo Thread 24 FEB - 02 MAR**

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
jtr27 Senior Member • Posts: 2,295
Hiking Mount Jefferson, New Hampshire

Mount Jefferson is the third highest peak in New England at 5,712', a bit harder to reach than some of the other high peaks.  We took the Jewell and Gulfside trails, a round trip of ~11 miles.  The trails were "broken out" but still soft.  We used snowshoes to treeline, and then switched over to spikes.

All with my X-E2s and 18-55mm.

A view into Burt Ravine.  Tracks and a trestle of the Mount Washington Cog Railway are visible.  The railway has been in operation since the 1860's and will commemorate their 150th year of operation this year.

Katie has her big radar dish ears deployed (upper right).  I'd better add that Katie is a dog.    Beyond her in the distance we see Mount Monroe which we hiked the prior weekend.

Wind-sculpted snow.   Mount Clay in the background

Mount Washington behind Mount Clay.

Climbing out of the col between Clay and Jefferson, and now we have an unobstructed view of Washington and the spectacular Great Gulf.

I enjoy the historic place names of the White Mountains.  This plateau at ~5,400' just south of the Mount Jefferson summit is called the Monticello Lawn.  Not looking so much like a lawn at the moment, but beautiful at any time of year.

One of my two (human) hiking companions that day adds a sense of scale.

Here, we have just topped out on Jefferson and descended a short distance, to have a quick snack before starting our long descent.  Which unfortunately includes going part way back up Mount Clay.   Our legs are weary and really not very keen on climbing at this point.

This was a long and challenging day.  By the time we got back to our cars, it was dusk.  For a few brief minutes, alpenglow turned all the mountains pink. I did not take any shots of that as the view was obstructed.  We convened to Fabyan's restaurant (a former train station) in Bretton Woods for life-giving fluid and calorie replenishment!

I am moving pretty slowly today, after having hiked two five thousand footers in seven days.  But grateful at very nearly 59 to still be able to do this, and for good friends with whom to share the trail.

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow