Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di III RXD Lens causes BANDING in Sony A7RIII Locked

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
This thread is locked.
KEnrique
KEnrique Regular Member • Posts: 160
Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di III RXD Lens causes BANDING in Sony A7RIII

A few days ago I noticed some unexpected banding in one of my photos. This seemed strange because of the high dynamic range and ISO invariance of the A7RIII. I created a post here to see if anybody else was having the same issue. Most of the people who replied said the could not see the banding, or that it was my fault and normal behavior for shooting at ISO 3200, and underexposing with a fairly fast shutter speed. Thankfully, one user (toosas) pointed out that the banding was probably caused by the electronics of the lens.

There is another thread that touches on this  (https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4334778), but the comparison images are shot with two different lenses.

Here I am showing the same scene shot with the same settings and the same lens, but with the lens electronics disconnected on the second one. The banding is only present in the first one, confirming that the banding is caused by the lens's electronics.

Since this is DPReview, I would kindly ask to refrain from pointing out how I should have used a tripod, or how I shouldn't have shot at such high ISOs, or stating how you cannot see the banding. I am just asking nicely.

Lens fully connected shows banding

Lens electronics disconnected shows no banding

I hope some folks find this useful. And if you don't, please troll somewhere else.

KEnrique's gear list:KEnrique's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Canon G7 X II Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS Nikon D850 +10 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Labe
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow