Upgrading to EOS R from the M system. Which lens to choose?

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
Chepe Nicoli
Chepe Nicoli Regular Member • Posts: 165
Re: Upgrading to EOS R from the M system. Which lens to choose?

Sufice wrote:

Hey guys!

I'm currently thinking about upgrading from my M6 to an R but I'm not sure which lens I should get with it.

The lenses I currently own, that I could use on the mount via adapter, are the Macro 105mm 2.8L and the 50mm 1.8.

Now I'm wondering whether I should get the Kit (Eos R + 24-105 f4 RF) or just get the Body and seperately get a 24-70 f2.8L MK 2.

I don't really shoot action, but I do like taking pictures in low light situations. So night portraits for example are very interesting. How does the IS stack up against the extra stop of light?

Buying the KIt is about 600€ cheaper, it's more flexible in terms of reach, has IS and the nifty control ring.

On the other hand, the 24-70 has an extra stop of light, so it allows faster shutter speeds which helps with freezing motion of posing models. Also the background blur would be quite a bit more blurry on the 24-70 range.

I'm seriously torn.

Any help and experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Get the Kit, the 24-105 f4 RF is a great lens, I also have the 50mm 1.8 and works beautifully on the R.

IMHO.

-- hide signature --

www.nicoli.com.mx

Chepe Nicoli's gear list:Chepe Nicoli's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS R Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow