Why I'm switching from MFT to Z7

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Paul Richman
Paul Richman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,264
Why I'm switching from MFT to Z7

I have greatly loved MFT this past couple years.  The lens selection is amazing and they are all so small and reasonable priced.  The E-M1ii and G9 are terrific.  But here's why I'm switching:

1. I love having and using the latest and greatest technology, and the z7 is just terrific.  It's fast turning on, follow focus on BIF better and oh the image quality of that D850-upgraded 46MP sensor!
  2. I love the crop ability of the 46MP images, and I love zooming in on them.  I no longer print.  Instead I show my images on my iPhone XS Max, iPad and 55" NEC monitor.  Folks go "WOW" when I zoom in on images, as do I.
  3. The 24-70mm S lens is compact awesome.  Nikon seems to be setting new standard for their S series lenses.  The 35mm f1.8 S lens has been reviewed to be about as good as the legendary $6k Zeiss Otus 28mm f1.4 lens.
  4. All Nikkor F lenses work flawlessly with the FTZ adapter.
  5. No only is the z7 is compact, but the Nikkor 300mm F4 PF lens and 500mm F5.6 PF lens are also compact and reasonable priced and oh so very sharp.
  6. F mount Sigma lenses work with the FTZ well and don't require any focus tuning. The Sigma 14mm F1.8 Art lens is just stellar.  The Sigma Sport 150-600mm is also quite good but a beast, although reasonable priced and its kit comes with a 1.4x adapter.
  7. I love returning to Nikon.  It has always been my favorite brand.  I loved the D3x, D800e, D810 and lusted after the D850 but wanted to stay with mirrorless.

What I'll miss:

1. The Panasonic Leica 100-400mm lens is in a class by itself, and there is nothing so sharp and light for the Z7.
  2. I'll have to carry the 24-70mm and 70-200mm (once it's out) S lenses instead of just the wonderful 12-100mm Oly Pro lens.  There' nothing like the latter for the z7.
  3. The Nikkor 8mm rectangular Fisheye is no match for the Olympus 8mm F1.8.
  4. The Olympus Pro lenses are among the most beautifully made lenses I've ever used (like Zeiss and Leica).
  5. There are few if any matches to the Pro Prime F1.2 Oly glass for z7.
  6. Alas, no more 18fps, just 5.5.  I don't think there's any pro capture either?
  7. It will take a long time to fill out the S lens lineup.  At 76 I hate waiting.  (But there are some excellent F mount lenses available.

I'm tempted to keep on E-M1ii body, the 12-100mm F4 Pro and the G9 with the Leica 100-400mm, but I dunno.....

-- hide signature --

Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul
http://PixelsByPaul.COM
"There's a good picture nearby. Find it. Take it. Share it."

Paul Richman's gear list:Paul Richman's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Nikon Z7 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 150mm 1:2.0 +16 more
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow