Strobbing/Juddering at 24p - Need urgent help

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sasha Tamarin New Member • Posts: 18
Strobbing/Juddering at 24p - Need urgent help

Hello everyone,

My name is Sasha, I'm a photography artist and pretty new into the video world.

I was breaking my head what camera to choose (the main candidates were GH5 and Canon G40), before I went to a journey in Japan 2 months ago and started to film (I chose GH5).

In the beginning, I was shooting 30p, after a week I realized that Japan is PAL and switched to 25p.

After another two weeks, I said to myself, If I'm at 25p - why just not go with 24p and get the cinematic standard?

I switched to 24p (24herz mode).

I tend to walk and pan quite a lot with the camera while shooting. I like to Play.

I really like the style of the old 16mm films which are 24p (Chris Marker, Wim Wenders, Werner Herzog..).

I'm shooting mainly in FHD ALL-I @ 179D.

Well, now I had some time to look at the footage on the screen of my MacBook Pro Retina 2012 (US version) using VLC, QT, Davinci - I got really disappointed and frustrated. It seems to me that a lot of critical footage just gone to the garbage. The juddering and Flickering is really intense in compare with the same camera movements that I've seen from Canon or 16mm films that I've watched.

30p is running really nice and smooth though.

So now I have footage from 30p, 50p, and 24p and I'm starting to be really worried.

Do you guys know what I'm talking about? What would you suggest me to do?

P.S

I've complained about the issue to one Japanese cinematographer today, and he told me that the solution to shoot in 50p and then place the footage in 24p timeline, and that the editing software will do the job to smoothen it.

What do you think about this solution?

Panasonic GH5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow