E-M1x and 150-400 demo

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
David Mantripp Regular Member • Posts: 121
E-M1x and 150-400 demo

just tried a whole bunch of E-M1x with various pro lenses, courtesy Olympus Switzerland. The camera is a gorgeous piece of manufacturing, alongside it the E-M1.2 (silver ) looks almost rough.  The 1x is lighter than I expected, but very noticeably heavier than the 1.2, even than the 1.2 with grip. It is very comfortable to hold, but holding it for extensive periods could be taxing. I’m not sure it would work as a trekking camera, which giving the remarkable IS is a bit of a shame.  The ergonomics are truly excellent though. Even the joystick, a very unfamiliar UI element for a habitual Olympus user is immediately assimilated.  No huge surprises on the IQ side, as expected, but comparing shots with the 1.2 it seemed to give cleaner JPGs at 12800 ISO. The 1x at 12800 looked pretty much like the 1.2 at 6400. Nothing very scientific though, and anyway, I very rarely have reason to venture beyond 1600 at the outside.

So generally, as an already satisfied mFT customer, it gave me a very good impression. In my opinion it quite explicitly adds a new dimension to the mFT market, but it cannot replace, say, a 5.2 in the situations the 5.2 excels at.  So, either it needs to attract customers from other systems, or it needs to convince existing customers to extend their reach.  In any case, from what I saw there is no lack of interest.  I saw several pre-orders signed in the 45 mins I was there, and in Switzerland a pre-order is a legal contract.

Olympus also bought along a 150-400 mockup in a display case.   It is H U G E.  No, really, I did a double take, I thought it was some exotic Canon thing.  I think it is even bigger than the FT 300 f2.8.  It won’t be on my shopping list.  The E-M1x is a bit of a stretch for the mFT concept, but personally I think it will be relatively succesful.  The 150-400, on the other hand, looks to me like a step too far.

David Mantripp's gear list:David Mantripp's gear list
Ricoh GR II Sigma dp0 Quattro Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Sigma sd Quattro H +2 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GBC
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow