talk me out of the Q

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
phlowtography Regular Member • Posts: 376
talk me out of the Q

Hi there,

asked a similar question on the Fuji boards. Been shooting a X100s as my only camera ever since it came out in 2013. I travelled to Africa, Asia, and countless times within Europe with it, and pretty much carry it with me wherever I go. I never felt the need for other lenses, except for cityscapes where I wished the 35 was a bit wider. No matter the circumstances, Taifun in Hong Kong, Cyclone in Mauritius, -30° in northern Norway, buried in sand on the Maldives, it never skipped a beat. Well, until last weekend that is, when it suddenly stopped working. I’ve been eyeing the Q ever since it was released but treating cameras as tools I never “needed” one, what with my X100s working perfectly fine. Now that I’m in the market for a new camera I’m torn between another X100, the latest F, or the Leica Q. The easy way out would be to just get another X100 and be done with it. My reasoning for the Q is as follows:

Better AF, better IQ (I find the Q images have more plasticity to them wide open vs the somewhat flat Fuji files), better handling(?), 28mm is easier in urban photography

Otoh the Fuji wins when it comes to price and ease of mind. Buying the Leica would be quite a stretch for my means, with no possibility to buy a replacement in the near future should it break/get stolen, dropped by my kid as he does with the Fuji regularly. 35mm is a bit friendlier for tight portraits which I shoot quite a lot of my family (no the Qs crop doesn’t count because it merely is a crop and doesn’t change the characteristics of a 28mm).

I’m not asking whether the Leica is worth its premium, because it is, I’m totally aware of that. I guess what I want to know is, is the Leica’s superior IQ over the X100 worth to go slightly beyond ones means or will I be plagued with buyers remorse whenever I pick it up?

Maybe someone who owns/owned both may share his experience, thanks!

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Leica X1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KFo
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow