***Mini Challenge #535: Framed

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 40,322
Re: Some exhibitions from around the US

abiquiuense wrote:

I've never been to the Gila Cliff Dwellings nor the Gila Wilderness. And, I've never seen a Gila Monster; I hear that they like poodles.

Go pretty cool place. I've been to many cliff dwellings

Mesa Verde Colorado

Gila Cliff Dwelling New Mexico

Montezuma Ruins Arizona

Wupatki National Monument Arizona

Aztec National Monument New Mexico

Bent's old fort

Bent's Fort. Is that Charles Bent of Santa Fe Trail Days? Got hisself killed in Taos. Which, BTW, is probably the only time that the U.S. has executed its prisoners of war.

I don't think so?

There are a couple of nuggets of factoids at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantonment_Burgwin

Much more is to be learned in the Federal Record. (Use GoogleBooks; enter Burgwin, for the free books.) During the hearings, it was determined that many people were killed as prisoners. What is missing is the testimony of personal letters written by relatives attesting to this atrocity. I do my research in those.

Before Burgwin, the U.S. Army built a fort at Abiquiu. The 1/10 of the 1%, local yokels, immediately became foragers and spies for the U.S. Army, and, the rich sold mules to the U.S. because wheeled vehicles couldn't make it past Abiquiu, which route was considered by General Stephen Watts Kearny. Kearny left his civilian government to develop NM's "organic law," and exited, by way of Yuma, to California, leaving a company to handle peace treaties, signed at Abiquiu, with the Navajo. The military industry immediately began their attacks on the Navajo and Apache. Carson would later murder many hundreds of my neighbors.

In the process, Carson razed thousands of peach trees in Chaco, Kayenta, Canon de Chelly, and Hopi. The stones for these orchards had originated in Abiquiu, the 1600's.

The local rich had names like Brigadier General Jose Maria del Socorro Chavez y Velarde, Antonio Manzanares, Andres Quintana, Jose Jaramillo, Pedro Ygnacio Gallegos. All of these were rich people who had ignored Mexican law and should have kept out of our pueblos. Nope, they encroached. So, when people talk about land speculators, the Mexicans and before them, the Spanish landed, encroached on our sovereign rights.

Let's face it; Kit Carson and Juan de Onate had something in common, they were both war criminals.

Never knew Kit arson has been classified as a war criminal

-- hide signature --

Bill
"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
So I Choose my Battles
Click for Wild Man's Photos
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow