***Mini Challenge #535: Framed

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
abiquiuense
abiquiuense Senior Member • Posts: 4,132
A Northern New Mexico Adobe Schoolhouse; ca. 1911 (1st Entry)

Found at close to 9,000 foot elevation, the now-deceased, community of Rechuelos, on the Rio del Oso, a tributary of the Rio Chama, this school was built out of adobe circa 1911, at a time when New Mexico was still a territory. Based on a "School Board Journal," recently donated to the Pueblo de Abiquiu Library, I've estimated that during peak attendance, the school had all of thirty students. The "journal" depicts limited minutes, expenditures, gifts of horse drawn wagons filled with firewood, and furniture made by hand. Salaries, for teachers, ONE DOLLAR per month.

Youngsters, during the active time frame of my dad's attendance, ca. 1918, became candidates between five and twenty-one years of age. My dad attended the entire three years of his educational career. Yep, he was an elementary school drop out. Despite this, he was a veteran of WWII, having served as a Corporal, in Company "B," 104th Anti-Tank Battalion, Fort Sam Houston, Texas. (I profiled this Battalion, in an earlier DPR post.") He also raised a family of eight; all eight of whom attended a university, UNM or NMSU.

The 104th? They're the ones who knocked the supremacists off of the skies.

abiquiuense

Note: "Adobe." According to the site "Real Academia Española," the Moors invented this word for the bricks that you see above. And, so the credit goes also for hundreds of words that we use in northern NM.  "Adobes," were used among the pueblos, millennia before Europe came here.

"Del ár. hisp. aṭṭúb, este del ár. clás. ṭūb, y este del egipcio ḏbt." RAE

https://dle.rae.es/?id=0nZkMqZ

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow