Mount diameter a strategy to squeeze Sony?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 6,911
Mount diameter a strategy to squeeze Sony?

Sony has already proven that the 46mm diameter of E mount does not prevent them from creating some fast and competitive lenses, but I'm wondering if the other FF mirrorless players may be using mount diameter as a strategy to make it harder for Sony to compete.

Here's what I'm thinking: third party lens availability for SLRs is good largely because one optical design can be relatively easily configured for use on multiple cameras. The registration distance isn't that different between EF, F, A, and even K mounts. So, Sigma, or whoever, can design a lens once and relatively easily configure it with a mount and interface electronics for up to four lines of DSLRs.

FE, on the other hand, has been slow to get 3rd party support because, until recently, it, and the Leica L, were the only full frame, short registration, AF mounts. This meant that a lens designed for E mount was basically usable only on E mount (maybe also L, but people who buy Leica SLs probably want Leica lenses, too).

What I'm wondering is whether the choices of mount diameter open up options for lens designers where they can more easily make better lenses if they can take advantage of a wider breech. Of the four mirrorless mounts, E is the narrowest, at 46mm. All the others are more than 50mm.

Nikon especially was making a big deal about mount diameter. I'm wondering if the real message here is that companies like Sigma can make one lens that performs well across R, Z, and L, but that they would have to make sacrifices if they want to also be able to use that same design on Sony E.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX-5T +15 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow