$4,000 ZEISS Otus 1.4/55 / misaligned aperture blades / unhappy customer.

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ufuk Ozturk New Member • Posts: 18
$4,000 ZEISS Otus 1.4/55 / misaligned aperture blades / unhappy customer.

Hi all, I'm new in photography and wanted to start from a good point.

I bought and D850 and a $4,000 ZEISS Otus 1.4/55 in last month.

Yesterday I just aware I my copy have an alignment problem in aperture blades at f16 and immediately contact to Zeiss customer services for a replacement in Germany.

After see a lot of perfect or near perfect aligned lenses on the net, mine $4,000 Otus annoyed a lot and it increased after the reply from ZEISS. Zeiss promotion these Otus lenses as Uncompromising image quality and I just started to understand not uncompromising in mechanical quality.

A reply from German customer service is like in below;

________________________________________________________________________________

Dear Mr. Ufuk Ozturk,

Thanks for your inquiry and congratulations to your OTUS lens!
Regarding the shape of the iris in your pictures:
The aperture blades of this lens are adjusted to allow photometrical correct exposure at all f-stops. So they can differ in their shape at different f-stops and do not always show a circular opening.
Because every lens is adjusted individually, different lenses of this type can appear different regarding this point.
A small amount of unsymmetry at f/16 as shown in your pictures is unavoidable.

With Best regards

________________________________________________________________________________

1- What do you think for the misalignment and reply from cs?

2- Can Otus owners check and send a photo of your Otus's aperture blades at f16.

Thanks & best regards

Ufuk Ozturk's gear list:Ufuk Ozturk's gear list
Nikon D850 Zeiss Otus 1.4/55
Zeiss Otus 1.4/55
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow