Terrible results using Pentax DA 40 2.8 XS

Started Feb 12, 2019 | Discussions thread
Tatouzou
Tatouzou Senior Member • Posts: 2,023
Re: Terrible results using Pentax DA 40 2.8 XS

I had the same issue with my first sample of this lens: sharp in the center and on the right but unable to get a sharp picture in the left side at aperture wider than f8.

I tried to adjust the PDAF, it did not work; then I realized that the same issue also happened in live view.

Happily, the lens, bought new in 2016 through Amazon market place was still under legal guarantee when I discovered the issue, and I got it replaced for free.

The second sample I got then is one of my best loved lens, sharp, lots of contrast even fully open (almost like the DA15), and so tiny, it is always in my bag when I use my K3 for travel, as a complement to the go-everywhere DA18-135 and the so nice DA15 limited.

IMO, it is not worth to send this lens to an official Pentax facility, they would charge you more than the price to buy a second hand working sample.

I suggest you rather to look for a local service station where some photo enthusiast tech can repair legacy mechanical lenses (any brand): it was not easy to find one where I live in Toulouse, France, but I finally did, and I got two classic Pentax lenses serviced this way for €70 each, a DA70 f2.4 with stuck aperture blades, and a F135 f2.8 which defective AF.

-- hide signature --
 Tatouzou's gear list:Tatouzou's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM +24 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow