Sharing my optimized Focus Peaking settings for using manual focusing legacy lenses

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
vaioy New Member • Posts: 8
Sharing my optimized Focus Peaking settings for using manual focusing legacy lenses

I recently found an optimal way to set my A7s, NEX5R, A7iii to manually focus legacy lenses (Leica M-35mm, 50mm, Minolta Rokkor 24, 35, 58, 135mm lenses).

After just a few practice, I can achieve 95% accuracy hit rate with stationary and slowly moving subjects (eg, my dog) WITHOUT adding Focus Magnification.

Settings:

1) preferably using the electronic viewfinder (EVF) for higher accuracy in manually focusing of your legacy lens.

2) Set Focus Peaking to Low (I use yellow as my color)

3) In Creative Style: set for CLEAR mode with Contrast set to -2, Sharpness set to +3 (for A7iii, it can be found in Menu >Camera 1 > page 12> choice 4 down)

4) I mainly use my lenses wide open at full aperture during focusing, as well as shooting.

That's all you need. Of course, the kinds of legacy lenses you use may vary a lot in their contrast, so you can vary the (+) settings of the Sharpness in the Creative Style.

Good Luck, and please post here whether you have some other luck with fast and accurate operation in manual focusing old glorious lenses.

NEX5R Sony a7 III Sony a7S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow