Don't confuse Oly's prospects with those of the EM1X

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
vicsin Regular Member • Posts: 176
Don't confuse Oly's prospects with those of the EM1X

I don't think that the EM1X is going to be a successful pro sports camera at all.  Professional sports are mostly played under lower light.  The NFL often plays at night, indoors or in the late afternoon into the evening, not to mention cloudy, rainy and snowy days.  The NBA is always played in doors and baseball usually in the late PMs into the evening, again including cloudy days.  Etc for other pro sports.

Magazines and newspapers rarely want narrow focal plane types of shots.  In other words they want as much in focus as possible.  They're not like fathers who usually want to isolate their kid during a play.  This means narrower apertures, at faster shutter speeds to freeze action, in low light.  A combination not well suited at all for mft and a big disadvantage compared to FF.  What pro sports photog is going to want to go to war on the sidelines and compete with other photogs shooting with that disadvantage esp when their competitors have the big Nikon and Canons on their side with all their lower light iq & focus  advantages.  And being able to shoot 20-60 shots a second is no advantage at all, just a gimmick really.  Not that much happens in a second and it's a real pain dealing with all those photos, not to mention filling your buffer, cards and draining your battery life.  Really 5-10 shots is more than sufficient for a second.  I'm sure they'll sell some but I doubt too many to pro sports guys.

Oly as a company, on the other hand makes terrific optical gear and their big advantage is size, weight and reach.  If they would just put their resources into improving those strengths and continue to innovate and improve those things there will always be people like us who want and need those advantages to buy their products.  And also they have a great opportunity now to pull way ahead in mft because more than likely Panny will be distracted by FF for quite some time.

They certainly have the right to make anything they want but I hope not at the expense of sacrificing innovation for the majority of their customer base.  Those of us who bot mft for its size, weight and reach benefits.  If they can do it all more power to them.  I just don't think this new camera can compete on the sidelines with the larger more established players and I hope their desire to try to make it happen doesn't lesson they're commitment to the rest & majority of us.   All this is just my opinion obviously, just curious if anyone agrees or not.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow