Photography is legal, except when it isn't.

Started Feb 17, 2019 | Discussions thread
Michael Fryd
Michael Fryd Forum Pro • Posts: 13,963
Re: Photography is legal, except when it isn't.

Krav Maga wrote:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/06/us/chinese-student-photographs-military-base/index.html

"According to court documents, Zhao entered the Joint Interagency Task Force South military property, located on Naval Air Station Key West, on September 26 without permission "by circumnavigating the installation's primary fence line, and entering the military property from the beach."

It has always been true that in the USA, the owner of private property has the right to prohibit photography taken from that area.

It is also true that the owner of private property has the right to prohibit people from entering.

In this case the Zhao allegedly was trespassing, on government property contrary to clearly posted notices. Furthermore, he was allegedly taking photos while on that property, in violation of the property owner's rules.

Zhao's alleged activities would be prohibited even absent the national security issues.

If I owned a farm with an old barn, I may want to make a little money renting it out as a location for photography.  I would be within my rights putting a fence around the property saying "No Trespassing.  No Photography."   Should someone climb through the fence and take photos in my barn, I would have a legitimate cause for legal action against them.

Michael Fryd's gear list:Michael Fryd's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW130 Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow